Re: declaration of strptime

On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 19:06:15 +0100
Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 06:06:44PM +0000, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> > First -- what should be done in the base system about the
> > declaration of strptime?  Should it always be declared?  If not,
> > should the man page be fixed?  (I should probably send-pr this
> > point.)
>
> Nothing. The man page is explicit about what standards it belongs it
> and the header reflects that.

I don't agree.  The linux man page for strptime() starts

       #define _XOPEN_SOURCE /* glibc2 needs this */
       #include <time.h>

       char *strptime(const char *s, const char *format, struct tm *tm);

which is a lot friendlier.

> > Second -- what should be in the packages (www/liferea and
> > mail/claws-mail-rssyl) to cope with this?
>
> Check for which feature macros they set. They might be doing something
> stupid and request strict C90 compliance or so.

Checking further -- the Linux man page says to #define _XOPEN_SOURCE.
Our code insists that it be a number and >=4.  I can easily create
patch files for that -- but is our check correct?