Subject: RE: sendmail's aliases.db distribution
To: Aymeric Vincent <Aymeric.Vincent@labri.u-bordeaux.fr>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 08/18/2000 08:44:55
[moving this to tech-userlevel]

On 18-Aug-00 Aymeric Vincent wrote:
> I'm currently cross-compiling a release for NetBSD/amiga from
> NetBSD/i386. The only problem I can't solve properly is the last
> action in etc/Makefile (distribution:) which builds the aliases.db
> file.

This has caused me no end of problems as well, and I'm not sure how to deal
with it.. but we really should bring this up on tech-userlevel and come up with
something reasonable to deal with it.

One solution I've thought of.. would be to modify sendmail to regenerate
aliases.db if it notices a zero byte aliases.db on initial startup.  The
benefit of this is that it would work for all forms of install.

A brutal hack would be to have a switch which could disable that one function
in etc/Makefile, so people could cross-build releases, which would be short one
file.

---
Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>