Subject: Re: more work in rc.d [was Re: rc, rc.shutdown proposed change]
To: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/13/2000 10:36:26
On 13-Mar-00 Bill Sommerfeld wrote:
>>   okay, but how do I share /usr/pkg between machines?  There are things that
>> I may want all of my cluster to run.
>
> and similarly, i may want to share /usr/pkg but not run exactly the
> same set of services on each machine..

I think we are inviting doom by attempting to come up with a works for everyone
solution.  Consider the alternatives:

a) We don't do this, and install them in examples or whatever, meaning all
users, have to copy them manually to enable them.

b) we do do this, and you only have to copy the files manually on the NFS
clients that want to run the service.  The win with b is that *most* users
don't play NFS games, and will benefit from this.  Those that do, are no worse
off than if we picked A in the first place.

---
Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>