Subject: Re: more work in rc.d [was Re: rc, rc.shutdown proposed change]
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/13/2000 00:04:49
On 12-Mar-00 Jason R Thorpe wrote:
> This is a lose.  Once the user installs a package, he shouldn't have
> to copy stuff around to make it go.  I think this is going to be a serious
> negative for our pkg system.

I agree.  How about having the pkg system do something like this:

Have an rc.pkg.conf and an /etc/rc.pkg.d directory.  All packages auto-install
start/stop scripts (when needed/available) into the rc.pkg.d directory, and add
a line to the rc.pkg.conf script saying:
PKGNAME= NO

On deinstall, the pkg would grep itself out of your config file, and delete the
entry. This way.. all the user has to do is follow the usual netbsd method of
turning the item on via rc*.conf.

---
Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>