Re: Portable Makefiles (was: I need support with a planned POSIX make extension)

On Sun, Aug 08, 2021 at 02:38:45PM +0200, Joerg Schilling wrote:
 > bmake        currently mainly seems to fail to support that makefile
 >              system because there is no support for pattern matching
 >              default rules and there are significant deviations with
 >              suffix rules that place their results into a directory
 >              that is not the current working directory if make.
 >              bmake could be supported, after it did add support for
 >              pattern matching default rules. A related simplified
 >              proposal exists in the POSIX bug tracking system.

By "pattern matching default rules" you mean gmake rules of the form

As for suffix rules, a few years ago we had someone come through and
dump "POSIX compliance" patches for suffix rules that both crippled
the feature and broke the world, and the conclusion after that was
that since POSIX apparently demands that the feature be crippled we
were going to ignore it and move on.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost