Re: GSOC - Interested in making u-boot compilable on NetBSD

In article <CAD3+QAmiMhSyS_L4A31D0aS7VHfOS9RG5LYrrngCDjaNMtvCHQ%mail.gmail.com@localhost>,
Joe Davis  <joe.davis512%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>First off, an introduction, my name's Joe, I'm an Irish student
>currently studying Theoretical Physics as a freshman in Trinity
>College Dublin, and a self-taught programmer. I'm quite familiar with
>C and assembly (mostly x86 and ARM, although I've a SPARC64 box at
>home that I play around with occasionally), and have a little bit of
>background in hobbyist kernel development.
>
>I've used both u-boot and NetBSD in the past, but I'm not intimately
>familiar with the internals of either of them.
>
>I've been looking for an excuse to get more involved with one of the
>BSDs for a while, and I think that this project would probably play
>more to my strengths than most of the others listed.
>
>In short, I think I'd enjoy taking this project on.
>
>I would have sent this earlier this week, but unfortunately I've been
>bogged down with assignments.
>
>Apologies if I've sent this to the wrong place, it was the contact
>address on the project page.

This is the right place. U-boot can be used to boot many different
machines, so you should choose a machine/architecture you have access to
in order to be able to test. The most useful to us I think would be arm.
As I mentioned to others before, you should write a proposal and split
down the project into manageable chunks with intermediate deliverables
so that you can measure your progress and judge if you are ahead or behind.

christos