Those i386 libraries on amd64

So I found all those i386 libraries in /usr/lib/i386 on my amd64 system and I
found them really handy because I had just converted it from an i386 system and
I hadn't  prepared some of my apps as well as I should have.

Where do those libraries come from? I've had a look, but it's buried deeper
than I have the energy to dig at the moment, and it would be nice if someone
could just tell me the answer.

There is a bug in the Citrus I18N library such that when this special i386
build is done, it doesn't know that it should use the new library path when
trying to dlopen() modules that it wants and it tries loading a 64 bit library
into a 32 bit program. This is a bug that all module loading software has when
built this way, at least NetBSD does actually seem to supply all the right
libraries.

Once I know how these libraries get built, I hope to be able to propose a
possible solution and then PR it.

Cheers,
Lloyd