Re: should we ship linkable gmp/mpfr/mpc or hide them?

In article <1395.1310849084%splode.eterna.com.au@localhost>,
matthew green  <mrg%eterna.com.au@localhost> wrote:

>hi folks.
>

>i'm trying to decide if we should ship gmp/mpfr/mpc as something
>private to gcc4.5 or first-class part of the base system.
>
>here are the pros and cons i've been considering:
>
>pro:
>       - linked against shared lib*.so [*]
>       - pkgsrc doesn't have to install them
>
>cons:
>       - cc1, cc1obj and cc1plus linked against lib*.a

This can be addressed by [*].

>       - can't build eg, lint for alpha due to issues with the
>         sources that are not trivial to fix

Can you explain this a bit more?

>       - if pkgsrc has never versions, we have potential weird
>         issues at link or run time for binaries

I assume this is newer, but can't that be resolved with incompatible
majors?

>       - building the compat, lint, etc. versions takes extra
>         time in the build.

We've passed the point of too long.

>[*] we could do this with private copy in /usr/lib/gcc/*.so.

christos