Built-time generated files vs. dependency

There're files which are generated on-the-fly during build.  Most typically
bin/sh/Makefile generates many those files.

I think of those generated files as annoying.  Writing dependency rules
dealing with them is difficult, and in most cases just broken.

        % make -n sh
        rm -f .gdbinit
        touch .gdbinit
        echo '#  ' "   yacc " sh/arith.c
        /src/netbsd/src.TNF/tooldir.NetBSD-5.99.5-x86_64/bin/nbyacc -d    -d -o
arith.c arith.y
        make: don't know how to make arith.h. Stop

        make: stopped in /src/netbsd/src.TNF/bin/sh

This means that the dependency written there is incomplete.  If you actually
run make, you'll surely get the target (${PROG} == sh in this case).  But
it's only you are lucky.  The arith.h is generated by someone which you don't
really know how.

If no one strongly objects, I'd want to commit those generated files.  Thus
we can build complete dependency trees.  One benefit coming to mind first is
crunch binaries.  We'll be able to re-build it without calling sub-make
repeatedly.

Masao

--
Masao Uebayashi / Tombi Inc. / Tel: +81-90-9141-4635