Re: building modules by build.sh (Re: exec: /sbin/init: error 8)

Hi,

On Tue, May 05, 2009 at 07:25:01PM +0900, Izumi Tsutsui wrote:

> <20090505092347.GA3545%drowsy.duskware.de@localhost> on current-users
> Martin Husemann wrote:
>
> > On Tue, May 05, 2009 at 05:46:35PM +0900, Izumi Tsutsui wrote:
> > > Yes, I agree adding "modules" target into build.sh and
> > > building it also on kernel=foo target is good idea.
> >
> > The latter only if the kernel is MODULAR though :-}
>
> It's trivial to just add "modules" target to build.sh.
> (attached, though I'm afraid there might be better syntax)
>
> I'm not sure if it's a good idea to handle dependencies
> between kernel and modules in build.sh.
>
> > > I'm also thinking if it's worth to split module files
> > > from base.tgz into an independent module.tgz or so.
> > > (though we also have to modify sysinst(8) too)
> >
> > Yes, we should have a separate set for that.
>
> I've already prepared modules.* list files in
> src/distrib/sets/lists/base so it should be trivial
> to create independent modules.tgz in
> src/distrib/sets/set.subr etc.
>
> But for sysinst(8) we have to modify all files under
> distrib/utils/sysinst/arch and it will take some more time
> for confirmation.

I'm all in favour of the set and the build.sh part - thanks for looking into
this. A couple of points to consider:

- In the "kernel directory" we may install stuff other than kernel modules.
  Some examples: firmware blobs, a splashscreen image, .prop files for
  modules. So modules.tgz might not be the best file name. To be honest and
  straightforward about it, there are many more important things to spend
  time on so I don't really think that the file name it is a problem at all.

- The per-module .prop files may eventually contain user supplied
  configuration data. For example, we may want to be able to specify
  locators for device drivers. At some point I think we should work out an
  _easy_ way to deal with this, but again I don't think it's a big deal, and
  shouldn't hold up having a modules.tgz.

Thanks.