Re: fat binaries

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 10:13:36PM +1100, Gregory McGarry wrote:
>> Perhaps it is better to do this using something like HP/UX's CDF's?
>>
>> http://www.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de/doc/man/hpux/cdf.4.html
>
> Initially I thought that magic symlinks could adequately handle this
> situation, but I can see that preserving the "default" binary is a handy
> feature.  It would be easy to overlay this facility over an existing file
> system.

Another way to do something along these lines is have a "fat binary"
that is equivilent to "isaexec" on Solaris, and then one can just
exec the "right thing".

http://src.opensolaris.org/source/xref/onnv/onnv-gate/usr/src/cmd/isaexec/
http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/816-5168/isaexec-3c?a=view

Doing something like this doesn't avoid the fat binary support needed
to make the initial isaexec command run, but you could then support
about as many architectures as you wanted to out of the same set
of filesystems.

-Kurt