Re: fat binaries

Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:

I dislike the concept and from what I have seen on Mac OS/X, it brings a lot of maintainance issues as well. For example, some libraries used by the older bootstrap only existed for Intel and 32bit PPC at the time --
poff, fat binary building is broken.

Are you agreeing with Andrew that a bytecode representation would be better? I'd be interested in hearing some ideas about that.

Otherwise, fat binaries provide a simple solution which is easy to implement. I also think that the concept of a fat binary is less complicated than magic symlinks or cdf; not an insignificant issue for end-user adoption.