On Mon, 25 Aug 2008, Mikko Rapeli wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 08:19:01AM +1000, Luke Mewburn wrote:
> > I don't think we should pass arbitrary MAKEFLAGS through,
> > since certain settings are set internally, and I'm concerned
> > that MAKEFLAGS set in the environment could cause difficult to
> > diagnose failures.
> Ok, my patch only allows user to initialize MAKEFLAGS. Lots of
> things are added to MAKEFLAGS past that point in the code. It is not
> just cleared on invocation but set initially to the value of a user
> defined MAKEFLAGS, which defaults to nothing. Here's a second attempt.
> > That doesn't prevent us considering a separate control
> > to explicitly enable the "make -k" behaviour that you desire.

At present, ignores any MAKEFLAGS passed in the environment,
and also ignores any MAKEFLAGS set via "-V MAKEFLAGS=value".  The
appended patch makes ignore any MAKEFLAGS passed in the
environment (as at present), but makes it accept "-V MAKEFLAGS=value".
Does this address everybody's concerns?

--apb (Alan Barrett)