Re: MAKEFLAGS and build.sh

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 11:39:06AM +0300, Mikko Rapeli wrote:

  |     Allow user to define MAKEFLAGS through build.sh. It's nice when a
  |     MAKEFLAGS=-k is needed to keep going and log all failing objects
  |     in one run.
  |
  | diff --git a/build.sh b/build.sh
  | index 026e5b2..cefa19b 100755
  | --- a/build.sh
  | +++ b/build.sh
  | @@ -202,7 +202,7 @@ initdefaults()
  |             MAKEFLAGS=-X
  |             ;;
  |     *)
  | -           MAKEFLAGS=
  | +           MAKEFLAGS=$MAKEFLAGS
  |             ;;
  |     esac

I don't think we should pass arbitrary MAKEFLAGS through build.sh,
since certain settings are set internally, and I'm concerned
that MAKEFLAGS set in the environment could cause difficult to
diagnose failures.

That doesn't prevent us considering a separate build.sh control
to explicitly enable the "make -k" behaviour that you desire.

I would have suggested "build.sh -k", but that flag is already
used (to warn about deprecated behaviour).  I am going to
remove the deprecated warnings for -b, -d, -i, -k, -t, since
the "new way" for those operations has been in place since
before NetBSD 2.0.  Then we might be able to use -k in build.sh
for the purpose.

Luke.