Re: ar "zero" flag

> > For instance, Sun's Java, at least version 1.5, links some libraries
> > statically into their own shared library,
>
> I cannot parse that, and I'm not sure that statement ("links some
> libraries statically into shared library") even makes sense.

When linking libjvm.so, it does

gcc -shared -mimpure-text -fPIC -static-libgcc ... \
    -Xlinker -soname=libjvm.so -o libjvm.so ... \
    bsd_amd64.o -Wl,-Bstatic -lstdc++_pic -Wl,-Bdynamic -lm -pthread

In other words, the stdc++ library is pulled directly into
libjvm.so, not depended on as a shared library.

Since it's still not entirely clear to me what is *actually*
being proposed, and the above could at least be interpreted to no
longer be supported, or even that the support would be ripped out
of our toolchain, I thought I'd flag it.

Regards,

- Håvard