Re: ar "zero" flag

> i do not want static linking to go away.

Neither do I.

For instance, Sun's Java, at least version 1.5, links some libraries
statically into their own shared library, and removing the ability to
do static linking would make getting java running even more difficult,
if not impossible to use afterwards in certain dynamically linked
programs.  (Yes, the java build was responsible for revision 1.2 of
pkgsrc/mk/wrapper/buildcmd, which fixed PR#37228.)

But...  I can't beleive the suggestion to entirely deprecate static
linking is a serious suggestion?!?

What about crunched binaries as used for our install and the /rescue
binaries?

> at the very least, it makes some debugging *way* more easy.

This is hearsay, but I vaguely seem to recall that we have had issues
both with debugging and profiling for shared programs?  It strikes me
as a Bad Idea to make those two even more difficult.

Regards,

- Håvard