Re: m68k softfloat builds

> A while ago, I ran into a problem trying to build a m68k system
> with -msoft-float.  A reply about the failure is here:
>
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-toolchain/2008/05/04/msg000186.html
>
> Any thoughts about whether or not this is the best way to procede?
>
> I suppose that turning on something like the multilib support in gcc
> is another way of doing this -- at least that is my understanding
> of it.
>
> I think this is a larger relevance than just the existing m68k ports
> too.  The Freescale Coldfire chips (the 54xx and 54xxx) have an
> MMU but none have a floating point unit.  The gcc 4.3 compiler
> has support for the coldfire instruction sets (there are slight
> differences between them all).  I've fooled around a bit with
> trying to get gcc 4.3 to build as a cross compiler for netbsd-current,
> but haven't had any success yet.

I'm using a MIPS variant without FP unit at work.  I use soft-float
for it.

I know how to build those missing soft-float functions (== I know
build infrastructure of libgcc and its glue in NetBSD) - but I'm not
very familar with floating point arithmetic itself.  I need help from
FP experts to finish my work:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-toolchain/2007/11/19/0000.html
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-toolchain/2007/11/19/0001.html

Masao