Subject: Re: misc/6810
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 04/24/2000 10:34:46
On 23-Apr-00 Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> I'd like to see a "toolchain" target, that could be used to update an
> older system from source. Of course you would never call it on a
> cross-compile run. You could set DESTDIR, though, and adjust your
> paths to get the behaviour desired by the filer of the PR.

Actually..  I'm doing cross-compiling extensively.. and it would be *very*
helpful to have a toolchain target.  Even moreso if there was an
install-toolchain target, so I could:

make toolchain
make install-toolchain DESTDIR=/build/${ARCH}/tools
make build DESTDIR=/build/${ARCH}/root

Right now, I fake this by doing:
TOOLDIRS="usr.bin/make gnu/lib/libbfd gnu/usr.bin/${AS} gnu/usr.bin/${LD} gnu/us
r.bin/egcs gnu/usr.bin/binutils usr.bin/xinstall usr.sbin/config usr.bin/rpcgen
usr.bin/menuc usr.bin/msgc usr.bin/xlint crypto-us/usr.bin/compile_et"

for subdir in   ${TOOLDIRS}
do
(make && make install)

By building the tools like this before building the world, I have not had any
problems which required a manual tool install in months.

---
Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>