tech-repository archive

Re: Scaling Mercurial at Facebook

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 09:19:01PM -0500, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> I substantially prefer Mercurial to git. However, I think at this
> point one should be reasonably realistic and accept that git has won.

I completely agree with the first sentence, however, I fail to see how
"winning" anything is important to our choice.

To repeat what has been said before: for any serious candidate, we need
a short paper describing the future workflow and a plan for the server
side setup (which includes mail-index and gnats integration).

For git I'd add another prerequisite: we need a usefull list (with
explanations) of "git config" calls you have to do upfront to avoid
going insane on the first few minutes of usage (stuff like setting user
name and email, and whatever the git config equivalent of
--color=never is).

So, anyone favoring transition (to whatever): step up and come up with
a usable plan.