Re: Update on fossil repositories

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 09:58:09PM +0000, bch%methodlogic.net@localhost wrote:
> I think the prev pkgsrc version was *not* delta manifest'd though... the
> repo is ~588M, 60935 files, versus netbsd-src's 3.2G, 127280
> files... rebuilding pkgsrc too ~6x as long as netbsd-src, iirc.

The numbers are a bit misleading. src has twice as many artifats and and
30% more check-ins than pkgsrc. But -- and that's the critical part --
src tends to have very short delta chains. The majority of the cases are
covered by the small delta cache, so e.g. the manifests tend to have the
base artificat around in the cache already. Especially doc/CHANGES* in
pkgsrc is quite different though. I suspect that's a large part of the
longer rebuild time.

Joerg