Re: Git and ident of binaries

On 2010-01-13 00:14 +0000 (Wed), Thomas Adam wrote:

> > > "man gitattributes" -- Git has expansion for $Id$ placeholders....
> >
> > And for arbitrary filters as well, which means we can just commit a
> > filter that does the appropriate $NetBSD$ munging if we don't like
> > touching $Id$ (which I think we don't, since sometimes we want the $Id$
> > of something that was imported).
> >
> > So, problem solved, if we need to maintain this feature.
>
> What would you use this for?

In NetBSD we do not touch $Id$ strings; we only touch the $NetBSD$
strings. This is beause we wish to preserve the $Id$ strings in imported
software, to avoid confusion.

For example, if you run "ident /usr/lib/libkrb5.a" on a NetBSD 1.4
system, you'll find "$Id: krb5_err.et,v 1.1.1.2 2000/08/02 19:59:32
assar Exp $" amongst the output. This lets us know what the file was in
the original source distribution we imported. If we replaced this, we'd
lose that information, and potentially confuse people.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson         <cjs%cynic.net@localhost>         +81 90 7737 2974
             http://www.starling-software.com