Re: Git and ident of binaries

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 11:56:43PM +0000, Thomas Adam wrote:

> > What do we really want to know when we use ident on a binary to see what
> > it was built with? The filename of each source file used to build it
> > (which list is incomplete in our current system--e.g., we don't know the
> > version of the .h files), and the version of the commit?

Adding #ident lines to .h files isn't a big problem.
All you need to do is run 'mcs -c' on the target to remove duplicate lines.
(Refer to your local Solaris documentation for the definition of mcs!).

> That's the question you need to ask yourself, and people switching away from
> different RCSes to a distributed one which doesn't have the equivalence
> often the get confused as to why it's not there at all, or limited
> functionality is, but it is not the same.  The reason Git doesn't need $Id$
> expansion is because the content of the file matters a lot lot more than the
> file itself, as content tends to shift, for instance.  Not only that but
> when you consider the history of a commit and the files it contains, the
> atomicity of a single file, as with CVS is not important at all in something
> like Git.

You are missing the point. It isn't only CVS that uses the hierarchic
sequential per-file version identifies, but also software developers.
System wide versions serve an entirely different purpose.

        David

--
David Laight: david%l8s.co.uk@localhost