Re: file in repository and attic

On Mon, 01 Sep 2008, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> I think I understand what to do when I encounter this, but how does the
> problem occur in the first place?

If you delete a file with normal CVS commands, it gets moved to the
Attic, and then if you later re-create the file with normal CVS
commands, the Attic file is moved back out of the Attic.  But I believe
that NetBSD's repo-copy and repo-move scripts (whatever they were
called) did not do that, so if you deleted a file with normal CVS
commands and then re-created it via repo-move or repo-copy, you would
end up with versions both inside and outside the Attic.

The log messages for these files in the NetBSD CVS repository show:

Attic/NetBSD-banner.gif:

revision 1.3
date: 1998/05/05 16:08:16;  author: lukem;  state: dead;  lines: +0 -0
remove (to replace with new version via repos copy)

NetBSD-banner.gif: (the non-Attic version)

revision 1.6
date: 1999/07/07 02:36:44;  author: abs;  state: Exp;  lines: +12 -7
Move the new banner.gif to NetBSD-banner.gif, and update any and all pages to
reference NetBSD-banner.gif

--apb (Alan Barrett)