file in repository and attic

I think I understand what to do when I encounter this, but how does the
problem occur in the first place?

[cvs2svn output from htdocs below]
Pass 1 complete.
Error summary:
ERROR: A CVS repository cannot contain both
/Volumes/scratch/cvsroot/htdocs/images/NetBSD-banner.gif,v and
/Volumes/scratch/cvsroot/htdocs/images/Attic/NetBSD-banner.gif,v
Exited due to fatal error(s).

--
Thor Lancelot Simon
tls%rek.tjls.com@localhost