tech-repository archive

Re: what's missing from CVS? extending CVS?

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 10:10:25AM -0500, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
 > I saw another email said:
 > > Here is a preliminary list of requirements for a version control
 > > system for NetBSD.
 > Can we also list which of the requirements are missing from CVS?

Sure. In loose order of importance:

 - No rename operation.
 - Slow. Branching and tagging are in particular extremely slow, to
   the point of unacceptability.
 - No disconnected operation.
 - Cannot handle private branches.
 - Has no native support for slave copies of the repository, and
   making our own (as we do) exposes us to assorted bugs and hazards.
 - Anonymous access is a major nuisance to administer.
 - No tree-wide atomic commits.

 > Maybe a temporary or long term fix is to extend CVS?

Not workable - too many of the problems are inherent in the way CVS
manages and thinks about its data.

Also it's (AIUI, never looked inside it myself) not very maintainable.

David A. Holland