Re: 9.0 is getting old...

* On 2024-06-09 at 15:40 BST, Greg Troxel wrote:

Havard Eidnes <he%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

[...] -- it would presumably require updating all packages at
once, but maybe that's expected practice anyway in quarterly
releases so not an issue.

I was under the impression that it's acceptable practice to rely
on "pkgin fug" mostly doing the right thing.  Instead removing
every package, cleaning out the pkgin cache and reinstall all
required package for each branch is quite a bit more cumbersome.

When the package in a set has the same version but is different, then
pkgin calls it 'refreshed'.   So I think it does what it needs to do.
Counterexample needed for a valid complaint!  (not saying it's bug free
just that I don't want to talk about theoretical bugs)

Correct. The only time I've ever had to tell people to run "pkgin clean" is when I switched PGP keys after moving over from Joyent, to avoid any errors running pkg_info to retrieve the BUILD_DATE from local outdated packages.

In all other situations "pkgin upgrade" should DTRT, and if it doesn't it's a bug I'd like to have reported.

--
Jonathan Perkin   -   mnx.io   -   pkgsrc.smartos.org
Open Source Complete Cloud   www.tritondatacenter.com