Re: 9.0 is getting old...

>> There is no truly great answer here; every approach is going
>> to bother somebody.
>
> Some options
> 1) For at least amd64 we could build 9.0 and 9.2 packages, so
>    9.0 and 9.1 have the "best available" likewise 9.2
> 2) Orphan 9.0 and 9.1 binary package dirs and just keep
>    updating 9.2 +
> 3) Build on 9.2 and provide a minimal patchkit tar for the
>    missing files on 9.0/9.1
> 4) Build on 9.2 and just tell people on 9.0 & 9.1 they must
>    update
>
> I'd be inclined towards 2). but 4) suggests something I'll open
> in a different thread.

I'm not sure what "missing files on 9.0/9.1" you're referring to
in #3 above; it sounds a bit messy, both from producing it and
using it...

I'm instead leaning towards doing #4 for powerpc (leaving the 9.0
and 9.1 symlinks pointing to the latest 9.0-built pkg set) and
anticipate your input on that issue.  If that's what I land on,
I'll also send out an announcement to the port-powerpc@ list
announcing that change and the consequences.

Doing #1 is of course the "best" in terms of compatibility, but
for powerpc I only have one 9.0-running powerpc host, so that
won't fly.

Regards,

- Håvard