Re: pkgin package repository message

David Brownlee <abs%absd.org@localhost> writes:

> It occurs to me that it would be helpful to provide a way for a binary
> package repository to inject some form of message into pkgin users.
>
> This could be used to tell 9.0 and 9.1 users that they need to upgrade
> to >= 9.2, or that a repository has stopped being updated and they
> need to switch somewhere else, or some critical issue in pkgin
>
> It could be as simple as a text file in the package dir, automatically
> checked and downloaded by pkgin, combined with logic to display it
> always (bonus points for having pkgin commane line option to stop
> showing the message until it changes)
>
> What do people think?

It's like MESSAGE and I don't like it :-)

Is this really a problem?  Are there people out there who are running
9.0, not 9.3 or so, and who don't read netbsd-announce?  Should we fix
that by making it clear that if you are using netbsd and not reading
that list, you are probably going to miss out on important information?

I feel like we're talking about solving things that aren't really
problems, and that are really "people who are not paying attention and
not following good sysadmin practices are going to have trouble"
problems.