Re: Whither USE_CMAKE?

On Fri, May 24, 2024 at 11:32:41AM -0700, Greg A. Woods wrote:
 > >  I doubt anyone enjoys tangling with cmake, but
 > > maintaining two sets of infrastructure isn't a reasonable expense.)
 >
 > Do you think that equation changes if the move is to entirely dump cmake
 > and build with a more rational tool (e.g. in the manner of xsrc ditching
 > imake)?

I think that's a different question. The situation upthread is that
the package uses cmake, and we have two sets of cmake infrastructure
in pkgsrc.

There are upstreams that seem to enjoy maintaining multiple and
theoretically equivalent build systems, which I don't understand but
it's up to them. I wouldn't do it.

In the abstract, dumping cmake is a fine decision and more people
should make it :-)

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost