Re: Fix mk/fetch/github.mk

Manuel Bouyer <bouyer%antioche.eu.org@localhost> writes:

> On Tue, Feb 13, 2024 at 08:40:20AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> I really don't like magic that looks at the "tag" and decides if it is a
>> hash or a tag.  AFAIK it is not forbidden to use a sha-1 as a tag, even
>> though that's asking for trouble.
>>
>> I wonder if we should use GITHUB_HASH instead of TAG when the value
>> is...  actually a commit hash instead of a tag, and then have
>> GITHUB_TYPE default to hash when GITHUB_HASH is defined.
>>
>> That results in more changes, but it leads to IMHO much cleaner
>> semantics.
>
> I have packages in pkgsrc (not WIP) which actually use hashes as GITHUB_TAG.
> There are 3 of them in geography/opencpn-plugin-*

It is seeming like this change, while being part of what will eventually
make sense, has caused a lot of breakage, and was not tested
adequately.

Therefore, I think the change should be immediately reverted.

Then, we can talk about what makes sense to change, and a plan to
adjust all the users (actual tags, commit hashes), url2pkg, and perhaps
something else.