Re: NetBSD # actual cores

On Fri, Jan 05, 2024 at 03:20:34PM -0600, Jason Bacon wrote:
> Some good points have been made about the complexity of the issue, but
> after giving it some though, I don't see any down side to simply
> exposing the physical core count.  More complex cases like asymmetric
> CPU packages will require more information in order to optimize jobs
> fully, but I think that's a separate issue.

We should expose all the data the kernel has for this, and if userland
wants to condense that data into a single number, userland can do the
math.

Currently the kernel knows (for each attached cpu):

 - node #
 - package #
 - core #
 - smt #
 - cpu class (currently restricted to slow/fast but needs to be extended)

A MI sysctl returning that for each cpu would be a good start.

Martin