Re: Problem setting APPLICATIONS_PATH

On Tue, 5 Dec 2023 at 19:56, Mark Davies <mark%ecs.vuw.ac.nz@localhost> wrote:

> On 6/12/23 03:12, Greg Troxel wrote:
> > Mark Davies <mark%ecs.vuw.ac.nz@localhost> writes:
> >
> >> When sysutils/desktop-file-utils/desktopdb.mk was modified last year
> >> to not include sysutils/desktop-file-utils/buildlink3.mk, that meant
> >> that ${BUILDLINK_PREFIX.desktop-file-utils} is not defined.
> >>
> >> so any package including desktop-file-utils/desktopdb.mk is not
> >> getting APPLICATIONS_PATH set correctly in their INSTALL and DEINSTALL
> >> scripts (its set to /share/applications rather than
> >> /usr/pkg/share/applications)
> >
> > Why was it modified?  Was it done correctly?   It sounds like you are
> > saying that desktopdb.mk does need to include the above bl3, and that
> > the change before was wrong, and should perhaps be reverted.  But you
> > didn't say that, even though you could have, so it feels like I am
> > missing something.
>

> The commit message that went along with the change says:
>
>   Consumers of desktop entries still register a full dependency
>   on desktop-file-utils, but apps that install a .desktop file
>   in share/applications do not. They still have a POST-INSTALL
>   step to call UPDATE_DESKTOPDB, but only if it is already
>   installed.
>
>   Should be not functional difference for any system with a
>   consumer of desktop entries installed, but for an app
>   with a .desktop entry the build of python, meson & glib2
>   may be deferred. Helpful for small apps and lower power
>   systems
>

> Not sure what precisely was intended, but the implementation clearly
> isn't working correctly at the moment.

Hi, this would be my change.

The intent was to avoid requiring the build of desktop-file-utils for
a small package which happens to have a .desktop file it wants
installed into $PREFIX/share/applications, but retain it for any
package which actually uses the installed files.

This allows much smaller systems to build a useful subset of desktop
apps without immediately pulling in python, meson, glib2 and friends.

Unfortunately it looks like I missed the APPLICATIONS_PATH part - it
should just use PREFIX. UPDATE_DESKTOPDB needs a similar change,
though in practice that is less of an issue.

Just fixed

Thanks