Re: Problem setting APPLICATIONS_PATH

Mark Davies <mark%ecs.vuw.ac.nz@localhost> writes:

>> Why was it modified?  Was it done correctly?  It sounds like you are
>> saying that desktopdb.mk does need to include the above bl3, and that
>> the change before was wrong, and should perhaps be reverted.  But you
>> didn't say that, even though you could have, so it feels like I am
>> missing something.
>
> The commit message that went along with the change says:
>
>  Consumers of desktop entries still register a full dependency
>  on desktop-file-utils, but apps that install a .desktop file
>  in share/applications do not. They still have a POST-INSTALL
>  step to call UPDATE_DESKTOPDB, but only if it is already
>  installed.
>
>  Should be not functional difference for any system with a
>  consumer of desktop entries installed, but for an app
>  with a .desktop entry the build of python, meson & glib2
>  may be deferred. Helpful for small apps and lower power
>  systems
>

> Not sure what precisely was intended, but the implementation clearly
> isn't working correctly at the moment.

It looks like the intent was to avoid the dependency, and that makes
sense.  Do you see a way to define what needs to be defined in
sysutils/desktop-file-utils/desktopdb.mk?  Or perhaps to set some
variable for the bl3 inclusion (temporarily) that causes it to just
define that, and not depend on the rest?