Re: Documented way to update python?

Thomas Klausner <wiz%gatalith.at@localhost> writes:

> On Fri, Oct 27, 2023 at 03:19:11PM +0000, John Klos wrote:
>> Is it documented anywhere how people should upgrade from python311 to
>> python311 with py-curses, py-expat, py-readline and py-sqlite3 included?
>
> If you ask me, use pkgin and binary packages that you either built
> yourself or from ftp.NetBSD.org.

Sure, but that's not really a responsive answer to this question.  Plus,
I use binary packages I build myself, but I use pkg_rr to keep them up
to date.

Yes, some people prefer to use official binaries, but those are not
available for pkgsrc HEAD.  They are not yet even determined to be sound
for NetBSD 9 x86_64 2023Q3.

And yes, people can run pbulk, but that's beyond what normal users (who
build from source) can be expected to set up.    pkg_rr, etc. is an
entirely valid way of keeping up to date, even if pkgsrc doesn't have a
story for disruptive changes like this.

>> Is it just a pkg_delete -f py-curses, py-expat, py-readline and py-sqlite3,
>> then pkg_rolling-replace?
>
> That will probably work. But also remove py-cursespanel and
> py-cElementTree, if installed.

It worked for me.  There's no need to mark py311-* for rebuild, as they
should depend on python and that obviously has a PKGREVISION bump.

What I did was just start pkg_rolling-replace, and then when python
failed to make replace because the new version conflicts with the
packages above, pkg_delete -f those packages, and manually make replace
and when successful clean, then restart pkg_rr.  That worked fine.  This
tells you the set of the conflicting packages, but running pkg_delete -f
on packages that aren't installed also works.

Note that if you have other python versions installed, you'll need to do
the same.