Re: sysutils/u-boot-tools package

> On Aug 29, 2023, at 7:44 PM, Brook Milligan <brook%nmsu.edu@localhost> wrote:
>
> Yes, that’s clearly the goal.  I’ve just had trouble finding the right configuration that does not require a cross-compiler.
>
> However, that said, I have now figured it out.  Please take a look at wip/u-boot-tools.  It now builds natively with minimal patches.
>
> I intend to commit this soonish, and so would appreciate comments.

One point I forgot to return to is that I am still interested in input on the location of the files.  Currently, the wip package installs the programs in bin and the man pages in man/man1.  However, as mentioned before, the names are pretty generic (dumpimage and mkimage); the latter conflicts with a program used by the NetBSD build system, though I don’t think it is installed in the normal path and there is no man page.

I envision these programs, or at least mkimage, to be used by scripts that build boot blocks for some embedded systems; it would be nice if all the tools existed within base or pkgsrc so everything can be done on a NetBSD system.  Thus, putting them in a u-boot directory might not be so bad; I’m not sure where though (libexec?).  Where would the man pages go; they have the same issues of potential conflict.

Or, should they just go in the “normal” places, because the NetBSD program is not really installed and therefore does not conflict?

I would appreciate thoughts on this before I commit.

Thanks a lot.

Cheers,
Brook