Re: okteta

On Mon, 21 Aug 2023 at 11:24, Jonathan Perkin <jperkin%mnx.io@localhost> wrote:

> * On 2023-08-21 at 11:15 BST, Greg Troxel wrote:
>
> > I am also pretty sure pbulk will simply say "modified since"
> > and rebuild.
>
> Correct.
>
> > Therefore, it seems we have arrived at "there is no problem with an
> > occasional instance of a version number going backwards".
>
> That's certainly always been my opinion.  The one thing I do want to add
> to the next version of pkgin is a deliberate marker for this in the
> output to at least notify the user that a package is being downgraded,
> in case they wish to evaluate alternative options (if available).

While version numbers going backwards might personally trigger a
slight twitchyness, I'm happy to agree that "Most recently built
version of PKGNAME is the one to use", seems to be a perfectly valid
rule, providing all tools and documentation agrees.

On that note, could this be documented in the pkgsrc guide, along with
a sentence including the word "epoch" mentioning why pkgsrc does not
use (or need) it? :)

Thanks

David