Re: geography/gdal-lib: devel/netcdf + devel/libexecinfo

Brook Milligan <brook%nmsu.edu@localhost> writes:

>> We still don't know how -lexecinfo gets into either netcdf's or
>> gdal-lib's build.
>
> I think it is clear why -lexecinfo is in netcdf; the netcdf/Makefile
> includes libexecinfo/buildlink3.mk.  When that is removed, no
> references to execinfo appear in either netcdf or gdal-lib.

Yes, that explains why it is visible to the build.  I read the
configure.ac and Makefile.am of netcdf and I can't figure out how it
goes from visible to included, which is usually via AC_CHECK_LIB but I
only see AC_CHECK_HEADER.

> I am less clear why gdal-lib adds -lexecinfo directly, as “execinfo”
> occurs nowhere in the gdal-lib source code.  It must be coming in as a
> side effect of the netcdf configuration, but I don’t know why.
> Perhaps some of the files I posted earlier will help, but I’m not
> seeing it.

Indeed, that  is what I think should be understood before doing anything
more than adding execinfo bl3 to netcdf bl3.