Re: geography/gdal-lib: devel/netcdf + devel/libexecinfo

> On Aug 18, 2023, at 9:57 AM, Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> wrote:
>
>> Unless I hear otherwise, I’ll commit that change soonish.
>
> I do not object to that.   I just didn't want to be doing something that
> was specifically to make it build on mac when it didn't seem like the
> right thing in general.

Fair enough.  That is also why I started this thread in the first place.

> This can explain why there is no -L; it should be to the bl3 libdir with
> -L, not the installed libdir.

The -L arguments looked much better after adding the libexecinfo build link file to that of netcdf.

> We still don't know how -lexecinfo gets into either netcdf's or
> gdal-lib's build.

I think it is clear why -lexecinfo is in netcdf; the netcdf/Makefile includes libexecinfo/buildlink3.mk.  When that is removed, no references to execinfo appear in either netcdf or gdal-lib.

I am less clear why gdal-lib adds -lexecinfo directly, as “execinfo” occurs nowhere in the gdal-lib source code.  It must be coming in as a side effect of the netcdf configuration, but I don’t know why.  Perhaps some of the files I posted earlier will help, but I’m not seeing it.

Cheers,
Brook