Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/geography/gama

>   We should somehow make e.g. USE_LANGUAGES=c++17 lead to GCC_REQD=foo
>   if the compiler is gcc, and have similar mechanisms architecturally
>   for other compilers.  It is not reasonable to open-code the same
>   information in tons of packages -- even if it is the status quo.

I don't think this is a realistic solution for the simple reason
that GCC tends to add support for new features incrementally.

Examples where this does not work:

https://freshbsd.org/netbsd/pkgsrc/commit/9cajoI8lhnNMBlwE
Baseline C++11 support in GCC is not enough for this package.

https://freshbsd.org/netbsd/pkgsrc/commit/3f1yUWsekhyn0bwE
This is support for an extension which is arguably not tied
to any particular standard.

I think making the wrappers default to -std=gnu89 (and -std=gnu++98
for c++) when no pre-existing -std exists in the command line
is a very good idea, it would make pkgsrc behave far more
predictably across a wide range of platforms, and would solve
many build problems that I spend a lot of time fixing.

I disagree very strongly that my change to update the documentation
to reflect the very very long standing reality should be reverted.