Re: Defaulting USE_PKG_ADMIN_DIGEST to yes

On Sat, May 13, 2023 at 07:01:30AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> Thomas Klausner <wiz%gatalith.at@localhost> writes:
>
> > For switching away from CVS, joerg has prepared
> > USE_PKG_ADMIN_DIGEST=yes to compare file checksums using 'pkg_admin
> > digest' instead of using the RCS Ids for identifying when a package
> > needs to be rebuilt because the pkgsrc files have changed.
> >
> > I think we can turn this on independent of the actual CVS migration,
> > and I'd like to do this soon.
>
> Not an objection, but I'd like to understand better.  I think this is
> about pbulk (and only pbulk), and that it stores this information in
> some database, but I'm having to guess to think that.  Can you explain
> the scope of the change?

Yes, this is for binary packages to detect if it needs to rebuild a
package.  Timestamps are not reliable (neither CVS nor hg nor git give
any guarantees about file time stamps).  The information is put in the
binary package in the +BUILD_VERSION file. pbulk uses this but other
bulk build tools could too.

> For changing the default soon, it would be good to
>
>   explain to people what environments are useful for testing it and
>   encourage people to test
>

>   explain what testing has been done already

I was suspecting that people had turned it on in bulk builds already
and had hoped to solicit information this way. I could definitely have
been more explicit about this :)

So, has anyone used this setting in their bulk builds yet?

I haven't tested it myself yet, but I will in my next bulk build.

Switching the default will cause a rebuild of all packages because the
old +BUILD_INFO with the RCS Ids will not match the new one with the
file digests.

Cheers,
 Thomas