py-sip* update and removal proposal for x11/py-sip, x11/py-sip5

Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> writes:

> Background: py-sip (4) is getting crufty, and doesn't work with 3.11.
>
> Besides py-sip, there is py-qt5, which uses sip (4) to make qt5 bindings.
> There is then py-sip5, and wip/py-qt5, which uses sip (5).

> Finally there is wip/py-sip6, for sip 6, but I'm not trying to deal with
> 6 yet.

* STATUS

No one replied, so wiz@ and I have been dealing with this offlist, using
qgis as the test case.  Now:

  py-sip6 is newly in pkgsrc
  py-sip(4) still has a buildlink3.mk because it installs a so
  py-sip5 and py-sip6 do not have buildlink3.mk because they are used as TOOL_DEPENDS

  py-qt5 uses sip6
  qgis uses sip6
  various packages related to sip-using programs are updated
  qgis seems to work

So, if you use anything with sip, please check that it still builds and
works.

* PATH TO END OF SIP5 (CALIBRE)

It would be great it calibre, the last remaining user of sip5, could get
updated (6.9.0 upstream vs 5.44.0 pkgsrc) and/or flipped to sip6.  I'll
try sip6 and see how it goes.  Let me know if you want to test before I
commit (if it runs for me); MAINTAINER is pkgsrc-users.  Note that
upstream does not seem to understand that the world is more than the
triculture, and is hostile to people building it from source:

  If you install from source, you are on your own. Please do not open
  bug reports or expect any form of support. You have been warned.

* REMOVAL OF py-sip AND MAYBE py-sip5

I don't want to remove packages just before branch, but here are two
removal proposals:

  I think that py-sip (4) has no users at all.  It is EOL upstream.  I
  plan to remove it after the branch.

  I think that py-sip5 is only used by misc/calibre.   If calibre can be
  made to use py-sip6, the I would think that py-sip5 has no users.  If
  so, I plan to remove it (after the branch, after calibre is happy and
  has been for at least a week ).

  I think we should NOT rename py-sip6 to py-sip.  There has been enough
  incompatibility to put it in the always-versioned time-out corner for
  several years to come.  (I expect a 7 which is incompatible with 6;
  that's how upstream seems to roll.)