Re: texlive install scripts are unbearably slow

* On 2022-09-04 at 07:39 BST, David Holland wrote:

On Fri, Sep 02, 2022 at 03:40:07PM +0000, Taylor R Campbell wrote:

> My idea was to teach pkg_add to batch up the install scripts that do
> this kind of caching so that this runs only once at the end.

Won't help (for builds at least) unless there's a way to know to save
up the duties across pkg_add runs and flush them once when
everything's done. :-(

One idea I've had is to simply add a variable around the mktexlsr
bits so we can turn it off for bulk builds. As far as I know it's not actually required for building the packages, and that way it's only users who want to install texlive-collection-all who will have to wait for hours.

The PKG_SKIP_SMF bits do similar, and it can output the necessary commands the user needs to run if folks want to use the same method for installing too.

--
Jonathan Perkin   -   mnx.io   -   pkgsrc.smartos.org
Open Source Complete Cloud   www.tritondatacenter.com