texlive install scripts are unbearably slow

Hi,

This has bugged me for a while. I spend quite a bit of time on pkgsrc performance to make it as fast as possible, but I'm told there's no fix for the fact that texlive-collection-all (a meta package that literally only runs pkg_add) takes nearly 3 hours to build simply due to the texlive install scripts rebuilding various databases.

Is there really nothing we can do to solve this? I don't know tex at all, and don't know why these can't be provided by individual packages and combined at install time, or some other caching mechanism.

If someone can point me to a potential solution I'm more than happy to work on it.

Cheers,

--
Jonathan Perkin   -   mnx.io   -   pkgsrc.smartos.org
Open Source Complete Cloud   www.tritondatacenter.com