Re: Latest samba4 changes & heimdal breakage

On Tue, 9 Aug 2022 at 12:58, Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> wrote:

> Matthias Petermann <mp%petermann-it.de@localhost> writes:
>
> > Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the details and can only offer
> > to help with testing. Still the question - sounds to me like there is
> > a risk of losing AD-DC functionality when updating to Samba 4.16 on
> > NetBSD. What are the priorities here? Is the AD-DC functionality
> > subject of acceptande testing for updating Samba in pkgsrc, or in case
> > of emergency - like if security updates in 4.16 require it - will this
> > functionality be dropped in favor of security, even if the two are not
> > directly related? Since NetBSD 9.99 supports Posix1e ACLs, I've been
> > using Samba successfully as a Windows Domain Controller and would not
> > want to sacrifice this feature.
>
> Generally, pkgsrc updates to the latest upstream as a routine matter.
> Almost always the new version is better in most ways even if something
> is broken.
>
> My own view, and I think this is aligned with pkgsrc doctrine, is that
> it's only a bug in pkgsrc if following the upstream build instructions
> manually works, and the package doesn't.   However pkgsrc attempts to
> mitigate upstream bugs.
>
> People who want to run an old version of something can do so, by just
> manually updating CVS, picking up the pieces, and building.  Anyone can
> put that old version of samba in wip.  If it's significantly useful we
> can add old versions to pkgsrc proper.
>
> It so happens that wip/samba is 4.15.4, this minute, even though that's
> a bug because it's older than net/samba.

I'm running 4.15.9 locally (not as AD), patched to expect the 2.5.2
ldb from pkgsrc rather than its bundled 2.4.4 - pkgsrc source at
https://sync.absd.org/pkgsrc-samba-4.15.9.txz for anyone who just
wants to build an up to date samba4 version (regarding security
patches) without expending any effort.

I think the obvious options are:
1. patch up the bundled 4.16.x heimdal to build on NetBSD (looks like
configurery fail)
2. downgrade to 4.15.x for now, optionally adding both 4.15.x and
4.16.x samba packages
3. make samba4 use pkgsrc mit-krb5 on NetBSD
4. other wacky options such as trying to copy the 4.15.x bundled
heimdal into 4.16.x, but effort better spent on other choices

A sample error from the build is below (line 40 of stdio.h is the
include of cdefs.h)

In file included from /usr/include/stdio.h:40:0,
                 from ../../lib/replace/../replace/replace.h:48,
                 from ../../third_party/heimdal_build/config.h:10,
                 from ../../third_party/heimdal/lib/roken/bswap.c:34:
../../third_party/heimdal/lib/roken/bswap.c:40:1: error: expected
declaration specifiers or '...' before '__builtin_constant_p'
 bswap64 (uint64_t val)
 ^

David