Re: Latest samba4 changes & heimdal breakage

Matthias Petermann <mp%petermann-it.de@localhost> writes:

> Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the details and can only offer
> to help with testing. Still the question - sounds to me like there is
> a risk of losing AD-DC functionality when updating to Samba 4.16 on
> NetBSD. What are the priorities here? Is the AD-DC functionality
> subject of acceptande testing for updating Samba in pkgsrc, or in case
> of emergency - like if security updates in 4.16 require it - will this
> functionality be dropped in favor of security, even if the two are not
> directly related? Since NetBSD 9.99 supports Posix1e ACLs, I've been
> using Samba successfully as a Windows Domain Controller and would not
> want to sacrifice this feature.

Generally, pkgsrc updates to the latest upstream as a routine matter.
Almost always the new version is better in most ways even if something
is broken.

My own view, and I think this is aligned with pkgsrc doctrine, is that
it's only a bug in pkgsrc if following the upstream build instructions
manually works, and the package doesn't.   However pkgsrc attempts to
mitigate upstream bugs.

People who want to run an old version of something can do so, by just
manually updating CVS, picking up the pieces, and building.  Anyone can
put that old version of samba in wip.  If it's significantly useful we
can add old versions to pkgsrc proper.

It so happens that wip/samba is 4.15.4, this minute, even though that's
a bug because it's older than net/samba.