Re: nginx-devel causing upgrade problems

* On 2022-07-12 at 12:16 BST, Greg Troxel wrote:

Jonathan Perkin <jperkin%joyent.com@localhost> writes:

Currently both www/nginx and www/nginx-devel have exactly the same
version.  This means that binary package repositories only have the
version from www/nginx available.

I guess the cause is that nginx-devel also has a PKGNAME of nginx, so
it's sort of a separate package and sort of not, and one of those either
fails or the last one wins, perhaps in some uncontrolled manner.

pkgin, unless you specifically request an older version, will always pick the higher version number. This means users will often unwittingly have nginx-devel installed if they blindly "pkgin install nginx" without looking to see a) what versions are available b) what the differences are.

Normally picking the highest version is perfectly fine, but in this situation I don't like that the effective default is a development version, and then they are tied into following it through what may be less stable releases.

I'm likely to just mark it as BROKEN for my builds to avoid it being distributed in my repositories, but it'd be nice for others to not run into this problem too.