Re: NetBSD 8 and converting from UTF-8 to "current locale"

Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%bec.de@localhost> writes:

> Am Thu, May 05, 2022 at 11:46:34PM +0000 schrieb John Klos:
>> Hi,
>>
>> In running a bulk run on NetBSD 8, I see lots of errors that look like this:
>>
>> ===> Extracting for libatomic-11.2.0
>> bsdtar: Pathname can't be converted from UTF-8 to current locale.
>> bsdtar: Pathname can't be converted from UTF-8 to current locale.
>> bsdtar: Error exit delayed from previous errors.
>> *** Error code 1
>>
>> No big deal, I thought. I'll just switch from /bin/tar to bsdtar. But the
>> same is happening with bsdtar as well.
>>
>> What handles this properly on netbsd-8?
>
> EXTRACT_ENV+= LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8

I wonder then:

  Should this be added to mk/ conditioned on NetBSD 8?  It seems like a
  kludge, not something that should be.

  Does any tar specification talk about UTF-8 and demand that there be
  some pathname encodings?  If not, shouldn't tar just make the byte
  sequence in the filename and the archive match, and not convert?    Or
  perhaps, which piece of software is buggy here?