NetBSD 8 and converting from UTF-8 to "current locale"

Hi,

In running a bulk run on NetBSD 8, I see lots of errors that look like this:

===> Extracting for libatomic-11.2.0
bsdtar: Pathname can't be converted from UTF-8 to current locale.
bsdtar: Pathname can't be converted from UTF-8 to current locale.
bsdtar: Error exit delayed from previous errors.
*** Error code 1

No big deal, I thought. I'll just switch from /bin/tar to bsdtar. But the same is happening with bsdtar as well.

What handles this properly on netbsd-8?

Thanks,
John