Re: Time to change defaults for PKG_DBDIR

David Brownlee <abs%absd.org@localhost> writes:

>> My proposal basically amounts to
>>
>>   remove magic from pkg_install (that changes behavior)
>>
>>   replace with magic that errors out
>>
>>   users, especially those who are on NetBSD 8 and 9 and have not updated
>>   to stable after about January 2021, continue to have the
>>   responsibility to read the migration page and follow the
>>   instructions.  As far as I know the instructions do work if followed.
>
> If we're happy with requiring users with working /var/db/pkg setups to
> make a change, then I'm 100% happy with this variant (I opened the
> thread with the basis of something similar, but then was exploring how
> to not disrupt those users)

My view is that in making the original change to PKG_DBDIR, and in doing
so without a fully-baked compat plan, we already decided that it was ok
to require people to cope.  We have been essentially requiring users to
pay attention to this for over a year, and dropping compat and making it
instead be a fatal error is consistent with that.  A user coping is just
adding 1 line to two pkg_install.conf files for binary installs, and a
third -- which I suspect is really not necessary -- to mk.conf.

> I assume we have to tell users to set PKG_DBDIR in both
> /etc/pkg_install.conf and $PREFIX/etc/pkg_install.conf , and that the
> error can include a link to the migration page :)

Yes, but each pkg_add could say

  ERROR: PKG_DBDIR is not explicitly set in @etcdir@/pkg-install.conf
  and /var/db/pkg exists.  See
  http://pkgsrc.org/pkgdb-change/#set-PKG_DBDIR for instructions.

which lets us spiff up the instructions when we find new oddness,
without fixing the sources.  If someone can tell me how to set the id
property in html in our flavor of markdown, that can be a smoother
experience -- but it works as it is.

Have you checked the binary packages?   The other thing we really need
to do is make sure there are no binary package sets with /var/db/pkg.