Re: Time to change defaults for PKG_DBDIR

On Sun, 1 May 2022 at 16:13, Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> wrote:

> David Brownlee <abs%absd.org@localhost> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> My proposal basically amounts to
>
>   remove magic from pkg_install (that changes behavior)
>
>   replace with magic that errors out
>
>   users, especially those who are on NetBSD 8 and 9 and have not updated
>   to stable after about January 2021, continue to have the
>   responsibility to read the migration page and follow the
>   instructions.  As far as I know the instructions do work if followed.

If we're happy with requiring users with working /var/db/pkg setups to
make a change, then I'm 100% happy with this variant (I opened the
thread with the basis of something similar, but then was exploring how
to not disrupt those users)

I assume we have to tell users to set PKG_DBDIR in both
/etc/pkg_install.conf and $PREFIX/etc/pkg_install.conf , and that the
error can include a link to the migration page :)

David